Your thyroid is a small gland at the base of your neck that makes thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormone controls many activities in your body.Dysfunction of Thyroid is an incredibly common issue. More than 25 million people in North America are dealing with this issues and ½ of them have no idea! Hypothyroidism, known Under-Active Thyroid, have 90% of all thyroid related issues and we wonder what are the signs?
The thyroid gland is responsible for metabolism, rate of turning food and other inputs into energy. If comes to dysfunction, or not paying proper attention to the signals, your energy levels suffer.
8 Signs of Thyroid Dysfunction
- Inability to lose weight- weight gain
- Swinging mood: anxiety, depression ,other mood-related issues.
- After sleeping 8+ hours at night- Fatigue
- Brain fog, poor concentration ,an inability to focus.
- PMS, Low sex drive ,irregular periods and infertility –female hormone imbalance.
- Feeling constantly cold
- Excessive hair loss, brittle nails and dry, cracking skin
How to determine if your Thyroid has dysfunction
Lab tests check the inputs and outputs of the Thyroid gland. We should all have this tests completed to determine how the thyroid is functioning:
- TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone)
- Free T4 (Inactive Thyroid Hormone)
- Free T3 (Active Thyroid Hormone)
- Reverse-T3 (Inactive Thyroid Hormone)
- Thyroid B. Globulin (Protein that binds to Thyroid Hormone)
- Thyroid P. Antibodies (TPO Ab)
- Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGB Ab)
Even if “Normal” ranges, still they may not be optimal. Very important is to find the root cause.