Coconut oil is proven to be one of the healthiest foods on the planet. In fact, there are more than 1500 scientific studies that show its health benefits.The secret of this amazing oil is its content of healthy fats called medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA’s). These unique fats include lauric acid, caprylic acid, and capric acid.
Approximately 62% of the oils in coconut are made up of these 3 healthy fatty acids and 91% of the fat in coconut oil is healthy saturated fat.
Most of the fats that we consume are long-chain fatty acids, so it takes longer to digest, but medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA’s) found in coconut oil provide the perfect source of energy because they are digested much faster
Unlike long-chain fatty acids, MCFA’s are:
- Easier to digest
- Not readily stored as fat
- Are antimicrobial and antifungal
- Smaller in size, allowing easier cell permeability for immediate energy
- Processed by the liver, which means that they are immediately converted to energy instead of being stored as fat
To date, the most important and proven health benefits of coconut oil include:
- Proven Alzheimer’s disease natural treatment
- Prevents heart disease and high blood pressure
- Cures urinary tract and kidney infection & protects the liver
- Reduces inflammation and arthritis
- Cancer prevention and treatment
- Immune system boost (antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral)
- Improve memory and brain function
- Improves digestion, reduces stomach ulcers & ulcerative colitis
- Reduces symptoms of gallbladder disease & pancreatitis
- Improves skin issues (burns, eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis)
- Prevents gum disease and tooth decay
- Promote weight loss
- Prevents dandruff and dry hair
- Can slow aging
However, not all coconut oil is created the same way, which means that you need the right kind in order to reap the benefits above. There are two major types of coconut oil: virgin coconut oil and refined coconut oil. Read on for more in-depth information regarding the things you need to know about coconut oil:
Refined coconut oil
Unfortunately, since it is refined, it doesn’t offer the same health benefits as virgin coconut oil. However, it still offers an excellent source of beneficial fatty acids and MCT’s.
When buying refined coconut oil, look for options that are not hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated (these create synthetic trans fats).
Virgin coconut oil
Virgin coconut oil is made from fresh coconuts, it`s unrefined, certified organic and non-GMO, it has coconut oil and flavor, and it can be heated up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. During the preparation process, it`s scooped out of the shell and cold pressed afterward, which leaves behind just the oil.
Which coconut oil is better?
Given that both have the same nutritional value; you can use both, depending on the flavor you prefer. Both have 63% medium chain fats, including 50% lauric acid.
How to buy the best coconut oil?
Be careful about these key characteristics when buying coconut oil:
- Non-GMO product
- Certified organic product
Confirm that virgin coconut oil is:
- Made without hexane
- Without deodorants or bleach
Confirm that the refined coconut oil is:
- Refined without harsh chemicals
We really hope you find this article helpful and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Thank You for Visiting Our Website. – G T M