Have you noticed the appearance of white patches on your skin? Do these white patches seem to be growing in size? If so, there’s a chance that you could have a skin disorder known as vitiligo.
Vitiligo is a long term autoimmune disorder that affects the pigmentation of the skin. The white patches develop because there are little to no melanocytes – the cells that are responsible for producing pigmentation in the skin, or melanin – in the certain parts of the skin.
What Causes Vitiligo?
Presently, vitiligo is regarded as an idiopathic disorder; that is, medical professionals have not yet pinpointed exactly what causes this depigmentation.
So far, all that is known is that it is an autoimmune disorder; it’s a stress imbalance that is genetic and that it can cause harm to the skin, especially when the areas that are impacted are exposed to the sun or abrasion.
If you think that you may be suffering from vitiligo, the first step is to have a dermatologist thoroughly examine you. This medical professional will be able to properly diagnose you based on your symptoms. Your dermatologist can also recommend treatment options; however, these options often consist of medications, including topical steroids.
If you’re not interested in using medications, you may be wondering if there are natural ways to treat the condition. There are, but these methods, like medications, won’t eradicate the problem; they will merely combat further issues from developing (sunburn, for example) and will help to conceal the discoloration of your skin.
Options for natural home remedies include:
1. Protect Your Skin from the Sun. Making sure that you protect yourself from harmful UV rays is vital. Even slight exposure to the sun could cause major damage to your skin. Applying sunscreen and wearing long sleeves and hats can do wonders.
2. Use Cover Up. If you are self conscious about your appearance, use cover up to conceal your white patches. There are various types of cosmetic cover-ups that work like magic covering up your patches and giving you a ‘normal’ appearance.
3. Turmeric and Mustard Oil. Many people who suffer from vitiligo swear by this natural home remedy. Those who use it say that it is highly effective at reducing the white patches that develop on your skin. To utilize this home remedy, follow these instructions:
- Mix 250 ml of organic mustard oil with 5 teaspoons of turmeric powder.
- Mix until well blended.
- Apply the mixture to the white patches on your skin and let it stand for up to 20 minutes.
- Wash off the mixture with a damp, clean cloth and pat your skin dry.
- You can repeat these steps twice a day for up to 20 days and you’ll be likely to see a noticeable reduction in the color of your skin.
Living with vitiligo can be difficult. Using these home remedies, you can protect your skin, conceal it and prevent the condition from worsening.
We really hope you find this article helpful and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Thank You.